Sunday, August 3, 2014

BC Observations


Happy BC Day to my fellow British Columbians! Hope you're enjoying your long weekend.

A few weeks ago I headed out on a road trip, with with my mom, 2 of my sisters and a nephew. We were taking my mom on a "sentimental journey" to Kitimat BC, about 1400km from Vancouver, and we only had a week to do it. She had lived there for a few years, as a teenager, when the town was brand new, and for one year "reigned" over the town as Miss Kitimat. Pretty cute. The town of Kitimat was created to support the aluminum smelting industry in the mid-50's. Before that, it was a tiny fishing village. Here are some pics of our road trip to northern BC....

An abandoned old church near Lytton BC. 

The Fraser River.


Barkerville is a national historic site of Canada located along Williams Creek. It's an old "gold rush" town built in the 1860's. Many of the original town's buildings still stand today. Incredible history. 

The old Canadian National train station. 

Kitimaat Village, just outside of Kitimat. 

What I really noticed is that since the town was born in 1954, the architecture is very much of the era. Loved it. Even the abandoned buildings still looked great. I'd love this one to be turned into some kind of accommodation. 

A-frame architecture for the First United Church.


This is Miss Kitimat (aka my mom) taking a look at what was the town centre, where she was "crowned". 





Picnic and bbq pavilion at Hirsch Creek. More fantastic, mid century, architecture.


The Gitwangak Totems, near Hazleton. Canadian artist, Emily Carr, was very much inspired by them. 



Wrapping up the tour with a great little shop, located in Hazelton, called Art + Antler. The owner,  artist, Leah Pipe has created an inviting shop filled with beautiful art, hand crafted items, some vintage pieces, and even a little taxidermy. 

We travelled about 3600kms, and there is still so much to see in BC. I'm already planning the next one.

Have a great day! 
janis





























3 comments:

Kyrani Kanavaros said...

WOW!!!!! That's all I have to say!! Love these pictures Janis!

nesting journal said...

love what you captured. What a fun memorable looking historic trip. great shots!

Heather said...

Hi there! I'm Heather and I have a question about your blog that I was wondering if you would be willing to answer! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)