Friday, February 14, 2014

Keeping It Simple - Origami


Hello everyone!

Today I'm sharing a simple origami DIY, that has a variety of uses....plus it's easy and fun to do.

For this project, I wanted to make holders for mini succulents to be used as place cards for a brunch. You can use any paper you like, but I scanned two contrasting fabrics, double-sided, to make mine. I cut down the paper to 9"x12" to make my 3" containers/boxes. I also used a bone folder (seen in video) to make sharp creases (important in origami). I asked my husband to make a short video, as he was heading out the door, of the action - easier than step by step pics!

video


That's it! I've also made these for candle holders for backyard parties, and for holding individual servings of party snacks....like popcorn. If you give these a whirl, let me know! 


janis

9 comments:

PinkPanthress said...

Ah, I have the exact same bone folder at the Library, for covering the hardcovers. :)

Beautiful Tutorial, well made & easy to understand... thanks to You & your Hub!
I like Origami, but sometimes those drawn Tutorials confuse me a bit, so this was a nice change.

Have a lovely Weekend!

P.S.: The double-sided pattern dissolves my pet peeve in Origami... white sides.

Stimuli Magazine said...

LOVE this!

Sheryl Spencer said...

We are so doing this tomorrow! Thanks for the video, I shouldn't mess it up now :-)

Meesh @ I Dream of Chairs said...

Very cute, the origami and the teeny succulents. :) Scanning fabric is a genius idea!

Dagmar said...

Just as simply sweet as can be! :) hope your day went well!

silverpebble said...

Bah! So sweet. Huge thanks Janis

Amy Walters said...

These are so fun! Love the video your hubby shot.

Vintage Home said...

oh I love the idea of scanning ....you are so smart!
I am smitten with these wee boxes! Love the idea of doing this for a hostess gift!

elisa said...

adorable, through and through. the children will love this, particularly as i am a dunce at origami x