Friday, February 28, 2014

Baked


Hello weekend! Hope you all had a great week. If you're in Vancouver, did you enjoy the little bit of snow we had? It was so pretty! Really wish we'd see more of that lovely white stuff. 

I haven't made bread in awhile, so I made a basic white bread, and added some spicy chilli chocolate to the centre. So good and pretty easy to make too. 

Mini Bread Loaves with Spicy Chocolate - makes 4 loaves

1 eight gram packet of active dry yeast
3 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon sugar (1 tsp for yeast mixture, 3 tblsp for dough)
1 cup lukewarm milk
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 85g spicy dark chocolate bar, broken into pieces

To glaze:
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon milk

Preheat oven to 320f/160c. Grease and line with parchment paper, 4 one cup baking tins and set aside. 
In a small bowl, mix together the yeast, one teaspoon of sugar, and milk. Set aside in a warm spot until bubbles form on the surface, about 5 minutes (see pic below).


In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, oil, 3 tablespoons sugar and yeast mixture and stir until a smooth dough forms (I use my hands for this). Knead the dough, on a lightly floured surface, for a about 5 minutes, until it's elastic and smooth.


Divide the dough into 4 even pieces. Flatten out each piece and place chocolate in centre. Fold around chocolate and pinch together to close. Smooth into a ball and place, pinched side down, into prepared baking tin. Cover with a towel and allow dough to rise, in a warm spot, until about doubled in size. This should take 45-60 minutes. 
Brush the tops with the egg mixture and bake for about 25 minutes, until golden brown on top. 
Allow to cool a little, in tins, before removing.


Have you made bread before? It's a pretty fun thing to do, and I find it so relaxing to knead dough by hand. Kids love it too! Maybe something to try out over the weekend? 

Have a great weekend! 
janis




15 comments:

Vintage Home said...

yummy!

PinkPanthress said...

Unfortunately we had no Snow this Winter, unlike last Year where we had lots of it until late into April... *sighs*

Yes, I make bread every now & then either myself or sometimes with my mother. And always by hand! :) Actually I was going to make some this weekend.

The outcome looks amazing... maybe I should really try a few of these, since I love chilli flavoured chocolade anyway. Hmm...


P.S.: A lovely Weekend to you as well.

Nequéren Reis said...

Amiga que delicia amei pegue a receita.
bom final de semana e feliz carnaval
Blog: http://arrasandonobatomvermelho.blogspot.com.br
Canal de youtube: http://www.youtube.com/NekitaReis

Stimuli Magazine said...

Are you kidding me? YUM!

Mary Anne Komar said...

That's just not fair to this dieting gal! Too yummy, what if you put cheddar cheese instead of chocolate??

lisaroyhandbags said...

Yum! I love the idea of the hidden surprise inside :)

Pinecone Camp said...

Pink Panthress, I remember you saying you make bread. Isn't it great kneading it by hand? ONe of these years I'd love to visit your region of the world....we can make some bread together!

Pinecone Camp said...

Stimuli Magazine, I kid you not ;)

Mary Ann Komar, add cheese - it's fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Could you recommend where to purchase the small baking tins?

Pinecone Camp said...

Hi Anonymous! I'm not sure where you live, but I buy a lot of my baking stuff at Ming Wo, in Chinatown, and Gourmet Warehouse on East Hastings Street. They're pretty inexpensive, and I use them all the time!

Christina Pabon said...

Hi Thanks! I was just on Gourmet Warehouse and looked/drooled at everything! I'm in the Baltimore area of MD, but couldn't seem the find the tins locally. I'm glad they have a website!

PinkPanthress said...

Pinecone Camp - Yes, it is very Zen to knead by hand.

If we meet, here or at your corner of the world, we'll cook & bake up a storm. :)

elisa said...

ah, chocolate with bread. excellent. i love baking bread, especially kneading and forming rounds. x

Amy Walters said...

These are beyond adorable! And love the healthy quantity of chocolate. That's my kind of dessert. :)

Lisa Moody said...

Seriously?? This looks amazing. I can't wait until Im on both feet to try and make some of your recipes!