Monday, October 18, 2010

Baked on Monday - Cheese and Garlic Pretzels


Just got back from NYC, and wish I could have stayed another day or two! Such a fantastic city and so much to see.

It's October, the hockey season has just started, and I have NY pretzels on my brain, so I thought I'd share a fantastic cheese and garlic pretzel recipe with you. Perfect with beer.

Cheese and Garlic Pretzels - makes 8
(recipe by Brandon Boone)


1 3/4 cups 'best for bread' flour (I used "Robin Hood" brand)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 packet (8g) quick rising yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon honey
1 cup hot water
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup finely grated fresh parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons garlic powder

Place the flour, yeast and salt in a food processor and blend. Dissolve honey in hot water and slowly add to flour mixture, while processor is running. Mix well. The dough should be smooth and elastic.
Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm spot for about 30 minutes, or until dough doubles in size.


Punch down dough and knead, on a lightly floured surface, until smooth. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces and roll each one into a long rope, about 18" long. Twist each rope into a pretzel shape and place onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Cover with a tea towel and let stand for another 30 minutes.


Preheat oven to 375f. Fill a large pot halfway with water and bring to a boil. Add 2 pretzels and parboil until puffed and shape is set - about 3 minutes. Transfer back to parchment paper lined baking sheet. Continue with remaining pretzels.



Combine cheese and garlic powder in a bowl and mix well. Brush each pretzel with egg and sprinkle generously with cheese mixture. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.


If you're in the Vancouver area, try these pretzels with a Main Street Pilsner . It's the new "beer on the block" and it's deeelicious.

I leave you with a picture of the view from our hotel room in NYC. Wasn't a great hotel, but the view was pretty beautiful. See you Wednesday!



37 comments:

christine, just bella said...

I love how you post some delicious savory baking too! These pretzels look amazing! I'll have to remember that beer next time I'm in Van!

Diana said...

I love soft pretzels, and these sound especially delicious with the cheese and garlic. Although, I'm a little intimidated with recipes that have yeast. It seems tricky.

Razmataz said...

Every Monday I jsut have to check your blog, and I always end up craving what you have just made. If I had parmesan in the hosue right now I would be baking right now.

I love how you put that pretzel over the beer. you are so clever.

kate / tinywarbler said...

okay. i want some of those pretzels. right up my alley. (along with the beer) and nice view!!

Jenn @ Living Luxe for Less said...

Mmm these pretzels look delicious! This would be a great snack for me a cozy Sunday watching football! I will have to try this recipe soon. I hope you had fun in New York! Did you try any restaurants that were new to you?

Lady Grey said...

Holy moly these like good! I love that picture with the beer bottle!!

Flo said...

It's so good the bretzels ! Miam !

our little love nest said...

I have been craving pretzels all week and am so excited to try these out. Thank you! (My order arrived...it is just beautiful right down to the adorable pink house on the package. I love it!)
xo

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Yum! I've been craving pretzels for a few days now - this post totally hasn't helped with that! ;)

P.S. Amazing view.

Martina said...

Aw, wanna go home and bake now - the weather feels like it, all grey and rainy! I miss NYC - had such a great time there last year and wish it was closer to me, along with one of my best friends who lives there. Have a great week!

lisaroyhandbags said...

Always love your food styling! These look delicious and a fun thing on an afternoon get-together. Hope you had a great trip! :)

Renee (eatliveshop.com) said...

Ooh I love pretzels! I've been dying to make some and these sound delish!

'odd and old' Linda Dacey said...

bleah! nyc double bleah!! and pretzels triple bleah!!! me jealous?...

Heather said...

I think you need to write a cookbook with your photos and recipes!
These look great. I had a NY pretzel last weekend, but these look much better!

Dawn said...

Oh hi!!!!
Just cam across you (because my cousin Dee from Our Little Loves Nest led me:)) and so glad she did!
Nothing better than a pretzel hugging a beer!
Adding you to my blogroll...Thank You:))

jan said...

And you know how to make pretzels too! I've been wanting to learn how to make pretzels like, forever!

stefania said...

MOlto buoni, complimenti
buona serata ciao

Nell said...

Now they look seriously yummy! xx

Pinecone Camp said...

These might look tricky, but they're actually pretty easy and fun to make. Give them a go all you lovely bloggers!
Dee (our little love nest), happy to hear (and see!) that the print arrived safely. Hope it doesn't make you too homesick!

Nicole said...

Those pretzels look so delicious! YUM!

Vintage Home said...

HI...everything you do .....looks ( smells) the best!...Thanks for the receipe and the beautiful image of New York...love the colour!

Pinecone Camp said...

Diana, yeast isn't too tricky! Give it a try. Really...if I can do it, you can do it. ;)

Dale at Hospitality Design Inspirations said...

yum yum yum. I saw these cool pretzel "fingers" in Martha Stewart Halloween magazine. They were pretzels like this, but long and thin, with knuckes, and a red dyed almond sliver as the nail on the end. looked kind of spooky.

Bridget said...

SO good.

theoldboathouse said...

Wow they look so perfect..well done

Sara Louise said...

I am drooling! That photo of the pretzel and beer looks like heaven!

Jaclyn said...

i have been wanting to make pretzels - i just found my recipe!

Pooch Morning Glory said...

since i grew up in kitchener-waterloo i crave pretzels every year at oktoberfest. currently i am living in PEI and missed the festival.
perhaps i will find some local PEI beer and make my own. thanks
~laura

kalanicut said...

Mmmmm, these look yummy. My mouth is totally watering. Thanks for an awesome recipe share!

Silver Strands said...

Looks delicious. I've been looking for a good rainy-day snack to bake. I think I'll try these :)

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

well, where i have been? i have been making pizza dough once a week... for 30 years and i have never made pretzels...it is on my list...they look great. love the shot with the beer bottle. main street beer..too cute

happy you're home. welcome back.

kary and teddy
xxx

Dallas Shaw said...

love your blog! SO glad I found it
dallas
http://dillydallas.blogspot.com

the chirpy bird said...

Well if I wasn't dying enough to return to Vancouver before, I most certainly am now! These look absolutely delish and with my love affair for all things carbs, it's like they're calling my name :)
xo tash

Sanda Vuckovic Pagaimo said...

I am going to try this one...

Lily @ Birch + Bird said...

Yummmm! These look delicious Janis...I'll definitely have to attempt this recipe, including the beer of course! Thanks for sharing :)

Minnie said...

Oh boy, I am salivating thinking about these yummy looking pretzels. I've seen several pretzel recipes through the years but none that looked this good. I just may have to try this recipe, maybe even get my kids in on it.

Charlotta Ward said...

These look delicious too!
But wait a minute.. Not an Australian beer?! :)

x C